It’s the most magical (cookie baking) time of the year!
To be honest, you might as well call the holiday season “cookie season” in my house. This year when I was asked to do a YouTube Christmas collaboration video, I decided to bake some sugar cookies for it! I combined a tutorial for baking vegan Christmas cookies with the YouTube Christmas tag, so I talk Christmas, bake Christmas, and eat and drink Christmas in this video!
Here’s the cookies! They turned out so well!
🎄LOVING MY VEGAN CHRISTMAS COOKIES!! For the recipe and how to make them, check out my latest YouTube video! 🎄 🎄 🎄 #cookies #baking #food #foodie #foodstagram #foodgasm #vegan #vegansofinstagram #veganfoodshare #veganfood #veganfoodporn #plantbased #nomnom #nomnomnom #yum #yummy #likeforlike #like4like #instagood #igers #potd #photooftheday
I based my recipe off this original recipe for vegan sugar cookies from the fabulous blog Minimalist Baker.
I’ll put the vegan sugar cookie recipe and questions for the YouTube Christmas tag below! Here’s the video where I make them step by step and chat about Christmas!
Ingredients for vegan christmas cookies:
1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), softened (to speed softening, see note)
1/2 cup organic sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pumpkin puree* (acts as egg substitute | sub with unsweetened applesauce with varied results)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour + more for rolling into shapes
1/2 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder (for thickening/binding)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-2 tsp non-dairy milk
Directions for baking the sugar cookies:
- Add softened butter to a large mixing bowl and cream with a mixer.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, pumpkin puree, and beat for 1 minute.
- Set your sifter over something that will catch fall out and add dry ingredients (flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda and baking powder).
- Use a spoon to briefly stir, then sift over butter and sugar mixture.
- Mix until until incorporated, being careful not to over mix. Then add almond milk and mix until a soft dough is formed. Switch to a wooden spoon if it gets too thick. If it appears to wet, mix in a bit more flour.
- Cover and freeze dough for 15 minutes, or refrigerate for 30-45 minutes (up to overnight).
- Five minutes before baking, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and position a rack in the center of the oven.
- . Scoop out portions of the chilled dough and roll it into balls.
- Arrange cookies on a clean baking sheet 2 inches apart to allow for spreading.
- Bake on the center rack for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest on pan for a few minutes. Add frosting and sprinkles to decorate if you like!
The Merry Christmas YouTube Tag Questions:
Here’s the questions for the Merry Christmas YouTube Tag! I only got around to answering a couple of them in the video, but you may enjoy using them in your own video if you’re a YouTuber!
1. Use one noise to describe how excited you are for Christmas.
2. What is the best present you’ve ever received?
3. What is the worst present you’ve ever received?
4. As a kid, did a sibling ever receive a present that you wished was for you?
5. Sing a line from your favorite christmas song.
6. Rename a reindeer.
7. What is your favorite thing about christmas?
8. When do you start getting excited for Christmas?
9. Do you use advent calendars?
10. Recite one line from your favorite Christmas/Holiday movie.
11. Share a funny christmas memory.
12. Talk us through your typical Christmas Day?
13. Do you have any Christmas traditions?
14. Real or fake Christmas tree?
15. Pictures with Santa…yay or nay? Share a fave.
merry christmas and happy baking!